Monday, November 21, 2011

Forgetting to Remember in Stardust Memories

I've been a Woody Allen fan forever. One of my favorite Allen films is Stardust Memories, which was mostly rejected by critics and fans as being among his worst films. But I love this film; I saw it when it was released in 1980 and have seen it a couple of times since, and it remains one of my favorite Woody Allen movies.

We were watching the two part documentary on the American Masters series on PBS (Woody Allen: A Documentary) last night. Towards the end of part one they were discussing Stardust Memories. Jim said to me "That's the one with the UFO in it, right?" and I looked at him like he was crazy. I said, "Woody Allen? UFO? I don't know what you're talking about." He said, "There was a UFO scene in the movie..." I told him I don't remember anything like that at all. I thought he was mistaken, mixing up some reference (and a joke or dialogue, not a scene with aliens and a glowing UFO) in another Allen film with Stardust Memories, maybe.

 The documentary shows some scenes from the movie, including this one:


I found it funny that Miss UFO Girl here would forget a scene with a UFO and aliens in one of her favorite movies. One that I've seen more than once. But Jim has only seen the movie once, as far as I know, and that was the first thing he remembered about the movie.

1 comment:

tinyjunco said...

well, your forgetting is understandable.....it's the same damn ??? Woody asks of everyone, everytime!

i think Crimes & Misdemeanors is turning out to be my fave...

have you read Robert Monroe's book where he meets up with the guy in a flying saucer (who is disguised as W.C. Fields) - it turns out they are harvesting jokes, humor, as humans are the only ones who produce it! i think it's his last book, but i'm not certain. Fun Clip! steph