Friday, April 9, 2010

The "Real" Grasshopper Canyon

When I wrote my post 'Grasshopper Canyon' (see the two posts below) I had no idea there was really a canyon in the Southwest by that name. I had just titled my experience Grasshopper Canyon because of the giant grasshoppers, living in a dormant state, in a canyon. So I was surprised to find that there is an actual canyon in New Mexico called Grasshopper Canyon. I wanted to find out more; for one thing, why is the place named "grasshopper" canyon. According to The Place Names of New Mexico, by Robert Hixson Julyan, "insect names" are not usually used as place names in New Mexico, but there are two canyons and one river named grasshopper in that state.

4 comments:

Red Pill Junkie said...

In Mexico we have a place called 'Chapultepec'.

Red Pill Junkie said...

Hey, why don't you play a little with Google maps, like Mike Clelland did, drawing a line between this Grasshopper Canyon and your home? Maybe something cool will show up :)

LesleyinNM said...

Just a tiny synchronicity - Bob Julyan is my neighbor living just 2 houses up the road and we live in a canyon, but not grasshopper canyon. :)

Regan Lee said...

Lesley, I'd say that is a HUGE synchronicity!